Now Download Your BEST South African Recipe For FREE
What You Will Need (makes 4 portions)
9 sheets Lasagna
30ml (2tbsp) olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 peppers, chopped
350g (12oz) minced beef
100g (4oz) Pancetta bacon
400g chopped tomatoes
30ml (2tbsp) tomato purée
30 ml olive oil
1 tbs butter
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the Béchamel sauce
50g (2oz) butter
50g (2oz) flour
600ml (1pt) milk
1 onion chopped
6 pepper corns
2 cloves garlic
Woolworths beef stock
How To Make It
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas Mark 5.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the vegetables until soft.
3. Add the tomato puree and beefstock (150 ml water, 2 tbs beef stock). Season to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. In a separate saucepan melt the butter and stir in the flour. Cook for 1 minute to form a paste. Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously to avoid any lumps. Bring to the boil and remove from the heat.
5. Place three lasagna sheets onto the base of a greased 25cmx25cm (10x10in) square ovenproof dish. Top with half the meat and a little of the white sauce and spread roughly. Sprinkle the layer with grated cheese
6. Repeat and finish with the final three lasagne sheets and the remaining white sauce.
7. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
Hints And Tips
This recipe is delicious at any time of the year – top with grated cheese for a stronger cheese flavour and a lovely bubbly topping and simply serve with a crisp green salad or seasonal vegetables.
The meat can be replaced with mixed vegetables.
Quick, easy and delicious: Add a packet of Woolworths biltong to a packet of their fresh cheese sauce, dilute to desired consistency with milk, heat but don't boil, and you have a velvet, smooth, textured, creamy soup in a Japtrap (instant)!
Imagelab is a video production company in South Africa, Johannesburg with leading media experience. For more information about our video production and web design services, please visit our website: